With news of pretty drastic negative events happening around the world and some other stressful things going on in my world this week here is an update on three good things.
1. Physically good: I’ve been running once a week for a couple of months now, doing 3 – 3.5 miles until last week, when I increased the frequency to twice a week. Two days ago, I noticed my pants feeling loose again. That is both good and bad. Good because I’m losing body fat where it doesn’t really need to be, but bad because I don’t care for shopping for new pants as I apparently have a non-standard bottom (more butt than hips), so it can be depressing leaving a store with a new pair that is only a good-enough fit.
2. Mentally good: I’m about a quarter of the way through my Goodreads challenge of reading 36 books this year. I thought it would be a challenge and it is. I am right on pace if I hope to keep a steady progress, but it also stresses me out a little. I am glad for digital checkouts from the library, but the timing of arrivals can be a little nutty.
A few weeks ago I signed up for several books I wanted to read. Many of them required me to go onto a download waiting list. I read through the books I had downloaded already but at some point most of the other books on my list became available at the same time. I had a limited period to download all of them before they were unavailable again. Next I had a two-week period to read them after downloading before they expired.
If I didn’t have these books in audiobook format then I doubt I would have been able to finish them all. I am on a deadline to finish the last two books in the group by Tuesday, or else it’s back to the waiting list for me with that title. This precision download/reading process provides the majority of this challenge. I’m adding a new widget to my sidebar if you wish to track my progress at a glance.
3. Literally good: Good Magazine is a pretty cool resource that I stumbled across in the last month. A few gems from that site are below.
– an app that will identify currency for the blind
– a walking primer for Los Angelenos. This happens TODAY!
– tips to reduce food waste
They’re doing an Good LA community launch party next month, a nice event to check out for locals.
Next week I’ll be volunteering at the LA Marathon. If you’re running that one, best efforts to you and I’ll see you there!